Corpora: Measures for the similarity between two sentences

Bill Fisher william.fisher at nist.gov
Tue Nov 14 15:51:46 UTC 2000

Constantin Orasan wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I would like to compute the similarity between two sentences. Could you
> indicate some work which proposes measures for this?  I am particularly
> interested in methods which use, in addition to the words, some
> linguistic information attached to the words (e.g. PoS tags, WordNet
> senses, etc.).

  You can download from the NIST site
(http://www.nist.gov/speech/tools/index.htm)
some software called "aldistsm-1.2.tar.Z" which computes an alignment
(edit)
distance between two sentences, where the basic editing operations are
changes
in phonological features, including splits and merges on the word level.

 - Bill F.