Corpora: Cognitive Grammar/Corpus Linguistics

Eric Scott escott at islanddata.com
Mon Apr 2 16:00:16 UTC 2001

Michael Barlow writes:

<snip>

>  Some thoughts:

<snip>

> 3. Langacker's Cognitive Grammar. Since this is a "maximalist",
> "non-reductive", "bottom-up" approach to grammatical
> description, it lends
> itself well to corpus approaches. I can see a corpus
> linguistics theory being built on a Cognitive Grammar framework,
> but I know that others disagree with this.

Could you elaborate on this? I also find Langacker's
writings very compelling; certainly his notions of
'entrenchment' of certain constructs suggest a statistical
basis. It seems to me that he also provides a good bridge
between corpus linguistics and symbolic/knowledge-based
approaches. I would be interested in reading anyone who has
done work in this area. Are there forums where this is/has
been discussed? I would also like to know more about the
nature(s) of the disagreements you mention.

Greetings from San Diego,

- Eric Scott
Natural Language Engineer
Island Data Corp.