Corpora: Release announcement: syntactic parsers for English, French, German, Spanish, Swedish and Finnish

Atro Voutilainen atro.voutilainen at conexor.fi
Mon Oct 8 17:06:41 UTC 2001

Dear Corpora-subscribers,

Those interested in natural language parsing may want to experiment
with our new Functional Dependency Grammar demos for several languages.

1. Our FDG parsers assign a complete or partial functionally labelled
dependency structure to utterances, e.g:

1	Those		that		subj:>7		@SUBJ %NH PRON DEM PL
2	interested	interest	mod:>1		@-FMAINV %VP EN
3	in		in		ha:>2		@ADVL %EH PREP
4	natural		natural		attr:>5		@A> %>N A ABS
5	language	language	attr:>6		@A> %>N N NOM SG
6	parsing		parsing		pcomp:>3	@<P %NH N NOM SG
7	may		may		v-ch:>8		@+FAUXV %AUX V AUXMOD
8	want		want		main:>0		@-FMAINV %VA V INF
9	to		to		pm:>10		@INFMARK> %AUX INFMARK>
10	experiment	experiment	obj:>8		@-FMAINV %VA V INF
11	with		with		phr:>10		@ADVL %EH PREP
12	our		we		attr:>13	@A> %>N PRON PERS GEN PL1
13	Functional	functional	attr:>14	@A> %>N A ABS
14	Dependency	dependency	attr:>15	@A> %>N N NOM SG
15	Grammar		grammar		attr:>16	@A> %>N N NOM SG
16	demos		demo		pcomp:>11	@<P %NH N NOM PL
17	for		for		mod:>16		@<NOM %N< PREP
18	several		several		det:>19		@DN> %>N DET PL
19	languages	language	pcomp:>17	@<P %NH N NOM PL
20	.		.
21	<p>		<p>

Here `Those' is analysed as subject of word number 7, `may', which
makes a verb chain with its regent `want'. `Interested' takes the PP
`in natural language parsing' as its dependent and modifies
`Those'. And so on.

Online demos for our FDG parsers are now available for
English, French, Spanish, Swedish and Finnish.

2. Also reduced dependency-oriented parsers are available for
testing. In addition to base forms and morphology, these FDG Lite
parsers assign a shallow syntactic markup for basic phrasal categories
(e.g. core-NPs, adverb phrases and verb phrases). The information
provided is shallower but the Lite parsers need less memory and have
better throughput.

The FDG Lite parsers now available are for English, French, Spanish,
German, Swedish and Finnish.

Please feel welcome to experiment with these parsers at
http://www.conexor.fi (under section `Products').

Best regards,
Atro Voutilainen

--
Atro Voutilainen                       mobile: +358 50 5437452
Conexor oy                                fax: +358 9 37468502
Helsinki Science Park              atro.voutilainen at conexor.fi
Koetilantie 3, 00710 Helsinki, Finland   http://www.conexor.fi