Corpora: Historical background of Corpus Linguistics

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 09:12:06 UTC 2002

Charo,
I suggest a useful source of info on "historical development" of Corpus
Linguistics is back issues of the ICAME Journal published by ICAME, see
http://www.hd.uib.no/icame.html for online back issues back to vol18 (1994)
- some earlier hardcopy back issues 9-24 are avaialable, see
http://www.hd.uib.no/journal.html

I have begun a project to scan and capture online some earlier back
issues, but rely on student helpers for scanning so havent got very far!

ICAME also runs an annual conference, and Proceedings are ususally
published by Rodopi http://www.rodopi.nl in their "Language and
Computers" Series, see http://www.rodopi.nl/senj.asp?SerieId=LC

ICAME Proceedings volumes published by Rodopi:

CORPUS LINGUISTICS. AARTS, Jan and Willem MEIJS (Eds.) 1984

CORPUS LINGUISTICS II. AARTS, Jan and Willem MEIJS (Eds.) 1986

CORPUS LINGUISTICS AND BEYOND. MEIJS, Willem (Ed.) 1987

CORPUS LINGUISTICS, HARD AND SOFT., KYTÖ, Merja, Ossi IHALAINEN and
Matti RISSANAN. (Eds.) 1988

THEORY AND PRACTICE IN CORPUS LINGUISTICS., AARTS, Jan and Willem MEIJS
(Eds.) 1990

CORPUS-BASED COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS., SOUTER, Clive and Eric ATWELL
(Eds.) 1993

CREATING AND USING ENGLISH LANGUAGE CORPORA., FRIES, Udo, Gunnel TOTTIE
and Peter SCHNEIDER (Eds.) 1994

SYNCHRONIC CORPUS LINGUISTICS., PERCY, Carol E., Charles F. MEYER, and
Ian LANCASHIRE (Eds.) 1996

CORPUS-BASED STUDIES IN ENGLISH., LJUNG, Magnus (Ed.) 1997

Explorations in Corpus Linguistics., RENOUF, Antoinette (Ed.) 1998

CORPORA GALORE., KIRK, John M. (Ed.) 2000

Some early ICAME corpus linguistics conferences were smaller,
and only record is a conference report in ICAME Journal:

Johansson, Stig, and Eric Atwell. Seminar on the Use of Computers in
English Language Research. ICAME Journal 7:1-12, 1983

Sue Blackwell. A Survey of Computer-Based English Language Research.
ICAME Journal 9:3-28, 1985.

A couple of ICAME conference organisers chose to publish Proceedings
with Mouton de Gruyter rather than Rodopi:

ENGLISH COMPUTER CORPORA: SELECTED PAPERS AND A RESEARCH GUIDE.,
Johansson, Stig, and Anna-Brita Stenstrom (Eds) 1991

NEW DIRECTIONS IN ENGLISH COMPUTER CORPORA: METHODOLOGY, RESULTS AND
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENTS., Gerhard Leitner (Ed).

I hope this helps,

Eric Atwell

--
Eric Atwell, Distributed Multimedia Systems MSc Tutor & SOCRATES Tutor
School of Computing, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT
WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric  EMAIL: eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk