Corpora: Historical background of Corpus Linguistics

Ute Römer ute.roemer at uni-koeln.de
Tue Apr 16 20:46:05 UTC 2002

Dear Charo,

You've probably already checked some of the introductory CL textbooks but
just in case you haven't, there is a section on pre-electronic corpora in
Graeme Kennedy's 1998 "An Introduction to Corpus Linguistics" and a chapter
on early corpus linguistics in McEnery/Wilson's "Corpus Linguistics" (second
edition 2001). There are some references to early corpus-based studies in
both books that might be helpful to find out more about the history of CL.
Elena Tognini Bonelli also provides a historical background to CL and writes
about
different (early and present) traditions of text analysis and corpora use in
her books
"Corpus Theory and Practice" (1996, TWC publications) and "Corpus
Linguistics at Work" (2001, Benjamins).

Hope this helps!
All the best from Cologne,
Ute