Corpora: [CORPORA] Re: closed class list

MT mtnaves at fil.ub.es
Tue Jun 11 06:50:38 UTC 2002

Lists of English CLOSED CLASS available on the web selected by Teresa
Naves
naves at fil.ub.es
*****Geoffrey Leech, Paul Rayson, Andrew Wilson (2001) Word Frequencies
in
Written and Spoken English: based on the British National
Corpus.Longman,
London. ISBN 0582-32007-0 available at
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/ Chapter 5 Rank Frequency
Lists of
Words within Word Classes (Parts of Speech) in the whole corpus contains

the complete list of closed class under the following subchapters
List 5.5: Frequency list of pronouns (not lemmatized): list
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_5_all_rank_pron.txt
List 5.6: Frequency list of determiners: list
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_6_all_rank_determ.txt
List 5.7: Frequency list of determiner/pronouns: list
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_7_all_rank_detpro.txt
List 5.8: Frequency list of prepositions: list
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_8_all_rank_preposition.txt

List 5.9: Frequency list of conjunctions: list
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_9_all_rank_conjunction.txt

List 5.10: Frequency list of interjections and discourse particles: list

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/bncfreq/lists/5_10_all_rank_interjection.t

xt

1. Noemi Preissner sent the following m message to this discussion list
CORPORA on February 199 about stop lists. "Patrice Bonhomme has a
collection
of stop-lists for English, French and German available at
ttp://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme/sw/ Apart from stop words you will find
lists
of word frequencies there. Those lists have been created on the base of
the
corpora at the Silfide server (http://www.loria.fr/projets/Silfide/)'
(Below you'll find the list of stop words for English by Patrice
Bonhomme
available at http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme/sw/stopword.en)
2. Modified Penn Treebank Tag-Set (closed class categories)  from
INFOGISTICS  http://www.infogistics.com/tagset.html
(I don't understand why subordinating conjunctions are not listed either

under closed-clased or open-class words) (find the whole list below)
3.  English Conjunctions by Linda Bryson
http://www.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/bryson.htm
(She regards both subordinating and co-ordinating conjunctions as closed

classed)
Further information on the web on closed class /Readings on closed class

words
4. "The English base lists are are (i) a list of 288 closed class words
drawn from the Alvey Grammar 3rd release (lexicon file d.le), (ii) a
list of
9532 general open class words derived from the British National Corpus
([BNC]) via word/part of speech frequency lists compiled by Adam
Kilgarriff
of the University of Brighton, kindly made available by anonymous ftp
[AK],
and (iii) a list of 32,250 technical words drawn from the European
Corpus
Initiative CDROM (ECI)" from TEMAA at
http://cst.dk/temaa/D12/d12exp-2.html#Heading8
5.  ELLY VAN GELDEREN Function WordsEncyclopedia of Linguistics Sample
Entry
http://www.fitzroydearborn.com/chicago/linguistics/sample-function-words.php

3

1Stop words for English by Patrice Bonhomme available at
http://www.loria.fr/~bonhomme/sw/stopword.en)
about
above
abst
abst
accordance
accordance
according
across
act
actually
added
adj
adopted
after
afterwards
again
against
all
almost
alone
along
already
also
although
always
am
among
amongst
an
and
announce
another
any
anyhow
anyone
anything
anywhere
are
aren
aren't
arent
around
as
at
auth
available
be
became
because
become
becomes
becoming
been
before
beforehand
begin
beginning
behind
being
below
beside
besides
between
beyond
billion
both
but
by
ca
can
can't
cannot
cant
caption
co
co.
contains
could
couldn't
couldnt
date
did
didn't
didnt
do
does
doesn't
doesnt
don't
dont
down
during
each
ed
eg
eight
eighty
either
else
elsewhere
end
ending
enough
etc
even
ever
every
everyone
everything
everywhere
except
far
few
fifty
first
five
fix
for
former
formerly
forty
found
four
from
further
get
go
got
had
has
hasn't
hasnt
have
haven't
havent
he
he'd
he'll
he's
hed
hell
hence
her
here
here's
hereafter
hereby
herein
heres
hereupon
hers
herself
hes
hid
him
himself
his
home
hop
how
however
hundred
i'd
i'll
i'm
i've
id
ie
if
ill
im
in
inc
inc.
include
includes
indeed
information
instead
internet
into
is
isn't
isnt
it
it's
its
itself
ive
just
keys
last
later
latter
latterly
least
less
let
let's
lets
like
likely
line
links
ll
ltd
made
make
makes
many
may
maybe
me
meantime
meanwhile
might
million
miss
more
moreover
most
mostly
mr
mrs
much
must
my
myself
na
namely
near
neither
never
nevertheless
new
next
nine
ninety
no
nobody
none
nonetheless
noone
nor
not
nothing
now
nowhere
of
off
often
oh
omitted
on
once
one
one's
ones
only
onto
or
ord
other
others
otherwise
our
ours
ourselves
out
over
overall
own
page
pages
part
per
perhaps
pp
proud
put
ran
rather
re
recent
recently
ref
refs
related
research
run
same
say
search
sec
section
seem
seemed
seeming
seems
server
seven
seventy
several
she
she'd
she'll
she's
shed
shell
shes
should
shouldn't
shouldnt
since
six
sixty
so
some
somehow
someone
something
sometime
sometimes
somewhere
still
stop
such
taking
ten
than
that
that'll
that's
that've
thatll
thats
thatve
the
their
them
themselves
then
thence
there
there'd
there'll
there're
there's
there've
thereafter
thereby
thered
therefore
therein
therell
therere
theres
thereupon
thereve
these
they
they'd
they'll
they're
they've
theyd
theyll
theyre
theyve
thirty
this
those
though
thousand
three
through
throughout
thru
thus
til
tip
together
too
toward
towards
trillion
try
twenty
two
under
unless
unlike
unlikely
until
unto
up
upon
ups
us
used
using
ve
very
via
vol
vols
vs
was
wasn't
wasnt
way
we
we'd
we'll
we're
we've
web
wed
well
were
weren't
werent
weve
what
what'll
what's
what've
whatever
whatll
whats
whatve
when
whence
whenever
where
where's
whereafter
whereas
whereby
wherein
wheres
whereupon
wherever
whether
which
while
whim
whither
who
who'd
who'll
who's
whod
whoever
whole
wholl
whom
whomever
whos
whose
why
will
with
within
without
won't
wont
words
world
would
wouldn't
wouldnt
www
yes
yet
you
you'd
you'll
you're
you've
youd
youll
your
youre
yours
yourself
yourselves
youve

2.. Modified Penn Treebank Tag-Set (closed class categories)  from
INFOGISTICS  http://www.infogistics.com/tagset.html
Tag  Description  Example
CD  cardinal number  1, third
CC  coordinating conjunction  and
DT  determiner  the
EX  existential there  there is
IN  preposition  in, of, like
LS  list marker  1)
MD  modal  could, will
PDT  predeterminer  both the boys
POS  possessive ending  friend's
PRP  personal pronoun  I, he, it
PRP$  possessive pronoun  my, his
RP  particle  give up
TO  to (both "to go" and "to him")  to go, to him
UH  interjection  uhhuhhuhh
WDT  wh-determiner  which
WP  wh-pronoun  who, what
WP$  possessive wh-pronoun  whose