[Corpora-List] Coding in ICE-GB

Stefan Th. Gries STGries at sitkom.sdu.dk
Wed Feb 19 13:42:12 UTC 2003

Dear colleagues

Working with the ICE-GB (using ICECUP3), I came across the following markup
which I am not able to find in the help file: <l> (which is apparently
always within words). For example:
<ICE-GB:W2A-021 #94:1> Nutrient starvation which results from the inability
of gut microflora to compete successfully for organic substrates present at
low con<l>centrations , is likely to prove important .

>From the fact that I have so far only come across it in the written
component and from the position within the word, it seems to be a
hyphenation marker, but I am not sure - does any of you know what <l> means?
Thanks a lot,

Stefan Th. Gries