[Corpora-List] identifying words in Japanese

Christoph Neumann neumann at nova.co.jp
Wed Jun 18 02:40:36 UTC 2003

Good morning from Tokyo,.

To my mind, the variation in the writing system is not such a big
problem for word frequency count. One has to combine several approaches,
though.
Most Japanese words have a canonical way of the choice of whether they
are written with hiragana or kanji, or, with "kun-yomi" verbs,
adjectives and their derived nouns, a canonical combination of kanji and
okurigana. This standard "orthograph" is automatically suggested by
Japanese word processors, a good check way to check for it if you are
not sure.
Variation in the mix of kanji/hiragana seems to occur only in a
restricted part of the vocabulary, namely with compound verbs and their
derived nouns (like in the hikkoshi-example). Even there, there is
normally one dominant preference (word processor!). As the general
pattern is always Kanji-Hiragana-Kanji-Hiragana, one might think of a
dynamic solution of identifying all variations.
Only (and fortunately) very frequent words seem to have real
(unpredictable) variation like "watashi" ("I") . As those words are
limited in number, one can account for them beforehand by explicitly
defining several variation sets, or simply add up their scores manually,
having a look at the top 100 or so ranking words.

Christoph Neumann

Dr. Christoph Neumann 		neumann at crosslanguage.co.jp
R&D MT, CrossLanguage KK
Tokyo, Japan