[Corpora-List] Sublanguage/controlled language

L Carmichael lesley at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 29 22:55:34 UTC 2003

Hi Victoria and others,

I've been doing some of my own work lately on clarifying the notion of
"register" in speech and how it manifests. I suggest you look at some
sociolinguistic literature; there is much discussion about dialect,
register, genre, style, etc. Specifically, a book called "Sociolinguistic
perspectives on register" edited by Biber, I believe, has been a good
resource for me. The papers in that volume discuss the boundaries for
these terms as well as how they linguistically manifest.

Good luck!
Lesley