[Corpora-List] Learner Corpora

Ute Römer ute.roemer at uni-koeln.de
Thu Apr 29 05:47:28 UTC 2004

Dear Belén and others,

I can recommend a very nice article on learner corpora by Nadja Nesselhauf
which gives a thorough overview of what's available, just out in a
collection edited by John Sinclair. The full reference is:

Nesselhauf, Nadja. 2004. Learner Corpora and their Potential for Language
Teaching. In: Sinclair, John McH. (ed.) How to Use Corpora in Language
Teaching. Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Another relevant paper by Norma A. Pravec, entitled “Survey of learner
corpora”, was published in the ICAME Journal (no. 26) in 2002. The paper is
available online at http://nora.hd.uib.no/icame/ij26/.

And then there is a very nice chapter on the topic, written by Michael
Barlow, which will soon be published in a volume edited by Rod Ellis (but I
don't know the title).

I am also working on a written learner corpus myself, though that one is
still in a rather early stage (at present it is basically an unedited
collection of text files). It consists of English term papers and essays
written by German university students. The corpus is called "CALC", for
Cologne Advanced Learner's Corpus, but it might soon develop into "CHALC" as
I am planning to add some of my Hanover students' term papers.

Best wishes... Ute

Ute Römer
English Department
University of Hanover