[Corpora-List] legal text: US Code available in XML and HTML

Lillian Lee llee at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Oct 6 03:08:30 UTC 2004

From: "Thomas R. Bruce" <trb2 at cornell.edu>

Earlier this week, the Legal Information Institute unveiled a new edition of
the United States Code -- all the Federal law passed by Congress currently
in force.  For the first time, we are also releasing the underlying XML
version as a dataset for use by researchers interested in legal text (or in
highly-structured text or legislation generally).  You can find the HTML
version at http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode ; the XML is available
for download at http://lula.law.cornell.edu/uscxml ; a sort of disorganized
colophon muttering about various technical aspects of the project is at
http://lula.law.cornell.edu/davalyzer .

Part of the reason I'm telling all of you this is that I'd like to get the
word out to the IS community generally and as widely  as possible, and I'm
largely ignorant of its hangouts and folkways.  If any of you know of
mailing lists or other apparatus where such notification would be
appropriate, please feel free (and strongly encouraged) to pass it on.  This
is the first time (that I know of) that such a large body of legislation has
been available to people in the IS community.  If you know of anyone with a
particular interest in such things, do let me (or them) know.

Thanks all,
Tb.

Thomas R. Bruce (trb2 at cornell.edu)
Director, Legal Information Institute