[Corpora-List] LEGAL ISSUES ABOUT CORPORA

Michael Barlow (ARTS DALSL) mi.barlow at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 30 19:48:10 UTC 2005

It is going to be difficult to get hold of an explanation of legal issues regarding text collection because laws will differ from country to country and as far as I know there haven't been any test court cases involving corpus compilation or sampling. Whenever lawyers address these issues at conferences, they always seem to say "it all depends" and not much more.

Generally, anyone who writes something holds the copyright to that text, whether or not
there is a copyright symbol appended to the text, and so unless you are collecting government documents that are in the public domain, you should assume that there is a copyright holder.

I assume that you are planning to make the corpus available to others, but I am not sure from your posting whether you are thinking only about written corpora or about collecting speech data.

Michael