[Corpora-List] you vs. contractions (2)

William Fletcher fletcher at usna.edu
Thu Jul 21 08:52:03 UTC 2005

Dear Przemek (and others with similar questions),

<<<What I would really like to find is texts containing "you" and NO contractions whatsoever in the same homogenous stretch of discourse (isn't, he's, we've, etc. etc., along with those involving 'you').>>>

The BNC-derived databases underlying my "Phrases in English" site allow this kind of of query, but for obvious reasons (license, security) I don't have a public direct query interface.

If you can define "the same homogenous stretch of discourse" (entire source text would be easiest for me) and specify exactly what format you'd like the data in (e.g. list of source texts and BNC domain / Dave Lee genre descriptors), I'll be glad to run the query and supply you the data.

I am answering you here publicly to encourage others to approach me with similar questions.  Building the databases entailed a major time investment.  One of the dividends of this investment is the ability to help others find specific kinds of data quickly.

Best regards,
Bill Fletcher

  Sending an attachment?  See below.

AssocProf William H. Fletcher
Language Studies Department
United States Naval Academy

On sabbatical AcYear 2004-2005 with the
Language and Speech research group at the
Radboud University of Nijmegen (NL).

Address
Groenestraat 105
6679EC Oosterhout gem. Nijmegen
Netherlands

Telephone
+31-24-3430960  [home]
+31-24-3615521  [office]
+31-24-3612907  [fax]
[6 hours later than US Eastern Time]

Department
   http://usna.edu/LangStudy/
Phrases in English
   http://pie.usna.edu/
KWiCFinder
   http://kwicfinder.com/
  Our mail server deletes messages with
  certain kinds of attachments without
  notifying the sender or recipient.

  If sending a .doc, .exe or .zip file, please
  rename it to delete the extension before
  sending and let me know in the body
  of the message what kind of file it is.