[Corpora-List] Summary of responses on corpora and language testing

Fiona Barker Barker.F at cambridgeesol.org
Wed Nov 16 10:03:51 UTC 2005

Dear list members

Further to my recent posting to this and other discussion lists I have
received a number of responses on corpora and language testing,
summarised below:

1) Eric Atwell (Leeds University) directed me to several papers related
to corpora and language testing in the ICAME Journal, published by the
International Computer Archive of Modern and medieval English.

Danny Minn, Hiroshi Sano, Marie Ino and Takahiro Nakamura. 2005. Using
the BNC to create and develop educational materials and a website for
learners of English. vol.29 pp.99-115

Emi Izumi, Kiyotaka Uchimoto and Hitoshi Isahara. 2004. SST speech
corpus of Japanese learners' English and automatic detection of
learners' errors. vol.28 pp.31-48

Eric Atwell, Peter Howarth and Clive Souter. 2003. The ISLE Corpus:
Italian and German Spoken Learners' English. vol.27 pp.5-18

Norma A. Pravec. 2002. Survey of learner corpora. vol.26 pp.81-114

2) Ana Frankenberg-Garcia (Lisbon) mentioned her article:
Frankenberg-Garcia, A. (2005) "Pedagogical uses of Monolingual and
Parallel Concordances" ELT Journal 59/3, June 2005, pp 189-198. PDF
<http://eltj.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/59/3/189?ijkey=d1JJgTgvyxSLz
MZ&keytype=ref> .

3) Chantal Enguehard (Nantes) directed me to her English corpus on metal
chemestry (CoRRecT). This is used as a bank test to evaluate systems
that recognize terms in texts.
http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/info/perso/permanents/enguehard/reche
rche/CoRRecT/CoRRecT.htm

4) Minako Yamada (Japan) is interested in language assessment from the
perspective of sociocultural theory and directed me to her study:
Yamada, Minako (2005). Task proficiency and L1 private speech. IRAL, 43,
81-108. Task proficiency and L1 private speech
<http://www.extenza-eps.com/WDG/doi/abs/10.1515/iral.2005.43.2.81>
(link via Extenza)

5) DJ Hatch (Belgrade) provided a reference and is currently looking at
the relationship between the use of corpora based tests and teaching via
'authentic' (or 'natural language') materials.
Alderson, J.C. (1996). Do corpora have a role in language assessment? In
J.A. Thomas & M.H.Short (Eds.), Using corpora for language research
(pp.248-59). London: Longman.
You can also read a couple of short articles I have written on this
subject:
Ball, F. (2001). Using corpora in language testing. Research Notes 6,
6-8, http://www.cambridgeesol.org/rs_notes/rs_nts6.pdf
Barker, F. (2004). Using corpora in language testing. Modern English
Teacher, 13(2), 63-67.
I would like to thank everyone who responded to my query and would
welcome any further information on past, present and future uses of
corpora in language assessment/testing.
Best wishes
Fiona Barker

Dr Fiona Barker
Validation Officer
Cambridge ESOL
1 Hills Road
Cambridge
CB6 1EU
UK

Tel. +44 1223 553806
Fax. +44 1223 553083
e-mail: barker.f at cambridgeassessment.org.uk

www.CambridgeESOL.org

Dr Fiona Barker
Validation Officer
Cambridge ESOL
1 Hills Road
Cambridge
CB6 1EU
UK

Tel. +44 1223 553806
Fax. +44 1223 553083
e-mail: barker.f at cambridgeassessment.org.uk

www.CambridgeESOL.org

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.
Internet communications are not secure and therefore Cambridge Assessment (the brand name for the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate, the constituent elements of which are CIE, ESOL and OCR) does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cambridge Assessment unless otherwise specifically stated.
The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this email and your reply cannot be guaranteed.