[Corpora-List] Google searches as linguistic evidence

Diana Maynard d.maynard at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 12:13:44 UTC 2006

No problem, it was my fault for being too hasty also.
I agree entirely.
Another little story....

A non-English colleague asked me the other day if the correct phrase was
"a workshop" or "an workshop". I was quite surprised at the question,
especially as the colleague said he had searched for both on Google as
he was not sure which to use, and found more occurrences of the former,
but still many occurrences of the latter. He also said that to him the
pronunciation of the latter sounded better (which I found odd as I
actually found it quite difficult to pronounce, but perhaps that's a
non-native speaker thing).
I checked on Google and he was right about the occurrences.

Are there any times when it would be OK to use "an" before a word
beginning with "w"?
I'd be interested to know what the BNC or other corpora show up on that.
Diana