[Corpora-List] Numpties and bennies: Google searches as linguistic evidence

Yorick Wilks Yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 10:31:05 UTC 2006

Ramesh is clearly right about "contrapunctal" being out there along
with "contrapuntal"; the difficulty is knowing what to make of the
distinction, if any, in relation to both music and the extension into
law and politics. One of the music citations from Google questions
whether "contrapunctal" is about "more than chords" (which is what he
took "contrapuntal" to have been, presumably) so that writer is aware
of some possible clash or extension beyond mere spelling variation. But
the dialectical/political extension is already an old one in the
simpler English version of the word(s), from Huxley's (20s?) novel
"Point Counterpoint" to US newsprogrammes using that as a title to
capture the notions of interaction/dialectic/response etc.
The alarming citations, one already quoted by Ramesh, are the extension
of the "contrapunctal" version into European thought, viz:

  A contrapunctual reading is able to produce a connection between
discrepant experiences. The contrapunctual process furthermore is a
practice to rethink common geographies. A contrapunctual listening
disturbs so called stable, impermeable categories which lead to the
false conclusion that cultures of the West could exist thoroughly
independent from other cultures.

This "contrapunctual" normative equality of national and European
constitutional law, which deliberately does not locate the Kelsenian
Grundnorm or Hartian ...

All these seem (one cannot be sure) to be written by European
non-native speakers, typing the language while wearing thick gloves,
and possibly feeling that the "c" shows the continental origin of the
word more explictly?
Yorick Wilks