[Corpora-List] Numpties and bennies: Google searches as linguistic evidence

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 10:05:36 UTC 2006

Hi Roger

>Ramesh, of course, meant to write contrapuntal

I'm sorry, but you have not checked your facts - and should not assume typos!
:-)

I wrote "contrapunctual" and meant "contrapunctual".
(I am well aware of the musical term
contrapuntal, being a drummer of long standing myself).
My "research" was solely to do with forms derived from "punctual".
Today's Google for 'contrapunctual' (sic) yielded 1710 hits.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=contrapunctual&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I do not know whether there is a genuine
distinction in meaning in musical terminology
between 'contrapuntal' and 'contrapunctual'.

But I noticed in today's Google hits that there
seems to be an extension (of the linguistic term?)
in the legal and political domains:

>Secondly the discussion aims at showing that
>contrapunctual law principles have ... It is
>proposed however that since this limitation of contrapunctual law ...
hermes.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=934067
>SSRN-European Constitutional Pluralism and the
>European Arrest Warrant: Contrapunctual
>Principles in Disharmony by Jan Komárek.
papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=934067

Best
Ramesh