[Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Rob Malouf rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri Dec 15 18:06:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Dec 15, 2006, at 8:36 AM, maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu wrote:
> Since there doesn't seem to be any standard regex syntax (grep,
> sed, etc. all seem to have slightly different views on the issue),
> maybe learning Perl syntax for regex's isn't that bad.  I believe
> Python uses the same syntax.

Python does.  Also, recent gnu  versions of grep support perl-style
regexps using the -P option.  For better or worse, perl regexps seem
to have become the standard.

> Besides, none of the standard grep implementations that I know of
> handle Unicode (at least not in any useful way).

Gnu grep 2.5.1 supports Unicode, though I guess it's debatable just
how useful it is.  The next version is supposed to be much better on
that front.

---
Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu>
Department of Linguistics and Asian/Middle Eastern Languages
San Diego State University