[Corpora-List] Grep for Windows

Trond Trosterud trond.trosterud at hum.uit.no
Tue Dec 19 14:55:08 UTC 2006

Oliver Mason kirjoitti 17. des. 2006 kello 22.21:

> On 17/12/06, Trond Trosterud <trond.trosterud at hum.uit.no> wrote:
>> But yes, there are situations when people will insist on using
>> Windows, so
>> if anyone has a reference to a set of DOS commands...

> Sorry to be a bit off-topic, but where if not at university would
> students be able to learn about Unix?  I am stunned that anybody can
> get any serious work done in text processing *without* the multitude
> of useful Unix commands.

So am I.

> From a pedagogic point of view I'd say that
> it would be the best solution to gently introduce the students to the
> idea that there are other operating systems besides Windows, and they
> might even be more suitable for academic work.  With the free
> availability of Linux on live-CDs there is no real excuse anymore...

I agree.

> I don't want to start a flame war about the relative merits of this or
> that OS, but why not expose the students to Unix rather than find a
> complicated way of emulating some of its powers on a DOS command-line
> within Windows?

As long as they are students on my coursed I give them Unix (Mac OSX,
as it is the preferred OS of our faculty). So, at least I agree with
you, and there will be no flame wars.

For me, the problem arises when I cooperate with projects off-campus,
who have already bought their equipment (no Macintoshes!) and insist
on using Windows (they have no Linux support within a radius of 800
km). That's why I ask for dos advices.

Trond.

Trond Trosterud                                        t +47 7764 4763
Institutt for språkvitskap, Det humanistiske fakultet  m +47 950 70140
N-9037 Universitetet i Tromsø, Noreg                   f +47 7764 5216
Trond.Trosterud (a) hum.uit.no          http://www.hum.uit.no/a/trond/