[Corpora-List] ANC, FROWN, Fuzzy Logic

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 21 21:10:28 UTC 2006

Dear all,
I'm resending the following because I have received no response, which is unusual for our friendly group. My apologies if it was, in fact, received.
Kindest regards,
Linda

Dear Friends, Colleagues and List Members,

I need to impose upon you once again.  I have three questions:

1) Can the ANC be used with Wordsmith? Only a program called "Gate" is listed on the web site and I don't understand enough about XML, filenames,  or markups to know if the information given means it can be used with it. The ANC publisher has not gotten back to me (just so you know I've done my homework!).

My problem is that my small corpus is from American newspapers, but  I used the BNC as a monitor corpus and I can just hear a question arise regarding that as I  sit down to defend my doctoral thesis. So I  figure I had best compare my findings to an American corpus.

2) Try as I may on the ICAME site, I can not seem to get myself to a link that would allow me to download (purchase?) FROWN (with the exception of the manual). Can someone who is probably more patient send me that link?

3) This is a fun (?) one  for the comp. linguists and math whizzes.  Is fuzzy logic ever used to measure semantic similarity, perhaps, for example, with regard to color spectrum categorization? I am thinking in particular of this in relation to  Vantage Theory, but would be curious about any other broader use, albeit the algorithm is tweaked a bit.  If you do have an answer and it needs some explanation, try to pretend you have to explain it to a five year old :-).  You'll probably notice my ignorance just from the question. Unfortunately, my tutorial regarding fuzzy logic with a math teacher at UHD where I teach won't begin until October ( but if you don't feel like making the explanation so simple, just pretend I know everything and I'll have the math teacher [attempt to] explain it to me. He does projects for NASA here in Houston, so I imagine he'll understand!).

In the end, it (fuzzy logic) may be too far afield from my  doctoral research regarding  (lexical) priming, lexical choice, and how we categorize synonyms, but I would like to see if I should rule it out with regard to empirical support.

Kindest regards,
Linda Bawcom