[Corpora-List] ANC, FROWN, Fuzzy Logic

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Sat Jul 22 05:26:21 UTC 2006

Hi Linda,

Re. your third point. As far as I know fuzzy logic is just a way of keeping
track of uncertain qualities, it does not explain the underlying uncertainty.
I don't see it being of much use for a fundamental understanding.

For a better hint at a fundamental understanding I would look at this article
by Greg Chaitin on limits of uncertainty in all logical systems:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/CDMTCS/chaitin/cmu.html

I think Chaitin's article provides a better idea of the underlying problem
with language (for which the solution is to understand language to be
fundamentally a corpus and not a logical system of rules and classes over
that corpus.)

Of course this perspective of language (as fundamentally a corpus and not a
logical system of rules and classes over that corpus) is highly controversial
and not fully understood even on this list, which is why most of the debate
here is still about how to find or impose underlying systems of rules or
classes (annotation schemes, disambiguation or categorization of
"word-senses"), which we then face dealing with as "fuzzy" qualities.

-Rob Freeman