[Corpora-List] Prototype semantics experiment

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Wed May 17 14:54:50 UTC 2006

Diana Maynard wrote:
> Thanks - yes that seems to work. Perhaps Brian should add a note about
> that on his page. Don't think it's just a problem with pop accounts as
> I'm not using pop

It has nothing to do with POP. Brian is using a 'mailto' action for his
HTML form, meaning that the submitted data gets packed into an email
message and sent to his address by your browser (which will generally
delegate the actual email sending to whatever it thinks is a good idea at
the time). The more standard approach is for submitted form data to be
sent to a piece of software on the same site as the HTML page directly
through the Web interface (e.g. the stuff you see like
http://www.amazon.com/shopping-cart.cgi?product=BMW-X5).
Unfortunately, 'mailto' actions are squirrelly at best, notoriously so,
since most browsers have trouble with them:

     http://lab.artlung.com/email-submission-stinks/

Mailto actions should always be avoided *except* when the Internet
provider doesn't provide or let you build the kind of software you need on
the webserver to handle form submissions, in which case you're out of
options otherwise. As luck would have it, the personal web pages of
providers like Comcast which Brian is using are unlikely to let you do
anything but naked HTML.

Brian, are you a student? If so, I can probably build and host an email
forwarder for your project in my webspace if Comcast isn't letting you do
PHP or CGI. Drop me a line in private if you want to pursue the idea.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix
San Antonio, TX