[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computational linguistics

Steve Finch s.finch at daxtra.com
Wed Aug 1 09:14:48 UTC 2007

OK, now I can't resist....

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> Rob Freeman wrote:
> > However there is another way to interpret the same data. Same data,
> > different conclusion.
> >
> > To me the fact we get many grammars from the same set of observations
> >  (observational insufficiency) means they are all good, and we need
> > to keep the observations so we can find the one we need, when we need
> > it.
>
> If they all fit the observations thus far, how would we choose among
> them?  Unless you mean that I might control a number of dialects, and
> can turn one or another on to make a point, or to make a joke.  (And in
> fact, I might could.)  I doubt that most linguists (generative or
> otherwise) would take issue with you on that.

When we admit that there are multiple "structures" in language, each of which
might have something interesting to say about language, the raft of arguments
that Chomsky, Fodor et al originally proposed that essentially say that not
*all* tranformational syntactic structure can be empirically inferred (woe
betide theoretical physics, btw, for they have a yet harder problem without
innate guidance) begins to crumble.  If we don't have to understand *all* of
language in one go, then arguments that say "you might be able to get X that
way, but what about Y and Z" can be countered by "I'll get Y and Z later,
maybe when I have more advanced techniques that you or I haven't thought of
yet, but right now I'm interested in X".

And then we can say without controversy that there is a *lot* of structure in
language that can evidently be - and has demonstrably been - found
empirically.

And in general I would say ask not what engineering can do for theory, but
rather what theory can do for engineering.  The huge silence in this list on
the latter point speaks volumes.

- Steve.

--
Steven Finch