[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computational linguistics

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Thu Aug 2 01:35:38 UTC 2007

I agree totally Steve. Can I just add a comment. Maybe you see this already,
but in case anyone is missing it. I want to emphasize that the solution may
be even closer than saying "I'll get Y and Z later, maybe when I have more
advanced techniques."

I think we can get whichever we want of X, Y, and Z, right now. The
essential missing insight is that we just have to understand we can't get
them all at once. Not all in one, internally consistent, grammar, anyway.

We can't get them all in one internally consistent grammar because X means
interpreting the data one way, and Y, and Z mean interpreting it in other
ways, ways which may actually contradict X when looked at globally (though
not locally): e.g. "black" is similar to "strong", but "black" is also _not_
similar to "strong".

I don't think the problem has been our techniques, which have been good for
50 years or more (until Chomsky noticed they gave multiple inconsistent
results.) The problem has been our goals. If we change our goal from that of
finding one complete grammar (and the functional, cognitive guys are just as
guilty of this, not to mention the engineers and machine learning guys), to
that of selecting (at will) between many possible inconsistent grammars, we
can solve syntax now (and reconcile it with semantics, function, usage...
etc.)

-Rob