[Corpora-List] history of corpus linguistics

Niladri Sekhar Dash niladri at isical.ac.in
Wed Jan 10 05:24:01 UTC 2007

There are two more good articles on 'history of corpus linguistics'.
These are as follows.

Francis, W.N. (1992) Language corpora BC. In, Svartvik, Jan (Ed.)
Directions in Corpus Linguistics: Proceedings of Nobel Symposium 82.
Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. Pp. 17-32.

McKenny, J. (2003) "Swift's prescience: a polite precursor of corpus
linguistics". Journal of Language and Literature. 2(1): 47-65.

Perhaps, the first and complete book on 'history of corpus linguistics' is
the following:

Dash, N.S. (2007) Language Corpora: Past, Present and Future. Kolkata: T.
Media Publication (India).

The Table of content of the book includes - Introduction, Pre-electronic
Corpora: A Brief Survey (Chapter 1), History of Text Corpus Generation
(Chapter 2), History of Speech Corpus Generation (Chapter 3), Indian
Scenario in Corpus Generation (Chapter 4), Future Direction (Chapter 5),
Syllabus for Corpus Linguistics (Appendix I), Bibliography, and General

The book is scheduled to be officially released in the Kolkata Book Fair
to be held at Kolkata, West Bengal, India during the first week of
February 2007.

With best regards,

Sincerely,

Niladri Sekhar Dash