[Corpora-List] agent and patient probabilities

Jim Magnuson james.magnuson at uconn.edu
Tue Jan 23 04:30:44 UTC 2007

I'm a psycholinguist rather than a computational linguist, with a
"newbie" question.

For some experiments, we need agent-verb-patient triples where the
"goodness" of the agents and patients to the verb vary in strength.
Typical ways to develop materials for such studies is by having human
subjects rate how "good" various items are as agents and patients for
particular verbs (e.g., "how likely is a dog to walk?", "how likely
is a dog to be walked?"). While this works well, it's of course very
labor (and subject) intensive. So I'm hoping to automate this.

I'm looking for recommendations for parsed corpora and tools to use
(with the goal of getting this going ASAP).

I know about the Penn Treebank; are there better and/or less
expensive options for US English, or is this just the way to go?

I'm an okay perl programmer, and computer savvy; are there tools that
would be helpful?

Thanks  very much,

jim