[Corpora-List] agent and patient probabilities

P Resnik psresnik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:00:40 UTC 2007

I worked on this topic some time back (wow, it's *quite* some time back now,
sheesh...) developing a computational model of verb-argument selectional
preferences and validating it using comparisons with human ratings of just
the kind you describe:

Philip Resnik,  `Selectional Constraints: An Information-Theoretic Model and
its Computational Realization'', Cognition, 61:127-159, November 1996.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=author:%22Resnik%22%20intitle:%22Selectional%20constraints:%20an%20information-theoretic%20model%20and%20its%20computational%20realization%22

The model should be very straightforward to implement, and, in fact, I can
probably dig up some old tgrep query expressions that will allow you to pull
out verb-object and verb-subject triples from Penn Treebank constituency
trees in order to estimate the model parameters.

This thread has been followed in various directions in the subsequent
computational linguistics literature.  Two of the most useful references
(esp. for pointers to related work) might be

Marc Light and Warran Greiff, Statistical models for the induction and use
of selectional preferences, Cognitive Science, 2002, Vol. 26, No. 3, Pages
269-281
http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_02/greiff_statistical/greiff_statistical.pdf

and

Brockmann, C. and Lapata, M. 2003. Evaluating and combining approaches to
selectional preference acquisition. In *Proceedings of the Tenth Conference
on European Chapter of the Association For Computational Linguistics -
Volume 1* (Budapest, Hungary, April 12 - 17, 2003). European Chapter Meeting
of the ACL. Association for Computational Linguistics, Morristown, NJ,
27-34.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1067813&dl=GUIDE,

Hope this is helpful,

  Philip