[Corpora-List] audio recordings of doctor-patient consultations

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 15:09:37 UTC 2007

Adam rather overstates the case. Martin Wynne and I visited the BL
storage facility about 3 years ago, and can report that

(a) the tapes are not gathering dust. they are being properly looked
after in appropriate storage conditions

(b) the labelling of the tapes within the BL cataloguing system maps
directly to numbers used to identify  recording elements in the header
of each text. To find the recordings for e.g. KS3, look in its header
for <recording> elements, and then request the tape indicated by its n
attribute (139401 in this case). This two step process is necessary
because several of the texts (not this one, as it happens) are derived
from multiple tapes.

I would also add that we found the BL staff very helpful and keen to
promote use of the material. They won't let you copy the data and
distribute it on your website, but that's not their fault!