[Corpora-List] Corpora of Learner English and Learner German

Barbara Schiftner barbara_schiftner at gmx.net
Tue May 15 22:24:06 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I am a student at the department of English at the University of
Vienna. In my diploma thesis, I am investigating the development in
learner corpus research, focusing in particular on corpora of learner
English and learner German.

An integral part of my paper will be an analysis of the status quo,
which should incorporate a representative sample of available corpora
of learner English and learner German. Therefore, I would be grateful
for any up-to-date information about the corpora listed below, or
suggestions for other learner corpora that should not be left out in
my discussion.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Barbara Schiftner

This is a list of the learner corpora I have found out about so far:

Corpora of Learner English

CLC (Cambridge Learner Corpus)

CLEC (Chinese Learner English Corpus)

HKUST (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)

ICLE (International Corpus of Learner English)

JEFLL (Japanese EFL Learner)

JPU (Janus Pannonius University Corpus)

LLC (Longman Learners’ Corpus)

MELD (Montclair Electronic Language Database)

Polish Learner English Corpus

SILS (School of International Liberal Studies at Waseda University)

TeleNex Student Corpus

USE (Uppsala Student English Project)

Corpora of Learner German

FALKO (fehlerannotiertes Lernerkorpus des Deutschen als Fremdsprache,
HU Berlin)

LeKo (Lernerkorpus, HU Berlin)

Telecorp (Pennsylvania)

Corpus collected by Ursula Weinberger (Lancaster)

(My main focus is on written texts, but remarks about corpora of
spoken learner language are also welcome.)

Barbara Schiftner

Fachdidaktisches Zentrum
Institut fuer Anglistik und Amerikanistik
Universitaet Wien
Spitalgasse 2-4, Hof 8
A-1090 Wien
Austria