[Corpora-List] CfP: Language Diversity and the Acquisition of Linguistic Semantic Knowledge

szpak at mail.site.uottawa.ca szpak at mail.site.uottawa.ca
Thu Nov 15 17:04:33 UTC 2007

First call for papers

Workshop on Language Diversity and the Acquisition of Linguistic
Semantic Knowledge, affiliated with the 6th International Conference
on Multimedia and Network Information Systems MiSSI'08, Wroclaw,
Poland, September 18-19, 2008

Web site: http://www.zsi.pwr.wroc.pl/MISSI2008/LDALSK/

The proportion of Web pages written in English keeps decreasing, but
a majority of text-handling tools and techniques have been developed
for English and tested on English resources. Many languages have been
reasonably well served by the existing systems, but large typological
differences (complex morphology, rich inflection, freer-order syntax,
not to mention cultural biases) tend to make those tools and
resources less than fully adequate. This may be particularly true of
deeper processing, including the acquisition of natural language
semantics from text.

The workshop seeks to explore methodologies developed from scratch
for a variety of languages, and perhaps their reapplication to the
processing of English texts. We invite submissions on the topics we
list below, and on closely related topics in the general spirit of
the workshop. We target the problem of automatic extraction of some
form of natural language semantics from corpora and application of
the knowledge extracted in that way in systems that deal with natural
language.

Work on any language is welcome; we particularly encourage
submissions related to "less privileged" languages. The workshop will
be held in English, to ensure the broadest dissemination of its
contributions. We have room for up to 50 papers, including posters,
so there will be ample opportunity to report on work in progress. To
suit the host conference, papers on applications of the semantic
knowledge extracted from text will also be considered; such
applications include machine translation, parsing, sentiment
analysis, information retrieval, information extraction, and text
mining.

All submissions must present original work. There will be a strict
reviewing process. (Submission instructions will be announced later.)
The proceedings will be printed by IEEE.

Topics:

Distributional semantics, semantic relatedness, semantic similarity
Extraction of lexico-semantic relations
Extraction of logical models for natural language semantics
Extraction of selectional restrictions
Lexicon extraction from corpora
Pattern-based methods in lexical knowledge acquisition
Recognition of expressions of opinions and emotions in text
Resources and tools for word-sense disambiguation
Software support for lexical knowledge acquisition
Thesaurus construction, extension and critique

Schedule:

submission       March 27, 2008
reviews in       April 30, 2008
acceptance       May 7, 2008
camera-ready     May 21-28, 2008

--
Stan Szpakowicz, PhD, Professor    613-562-5800/6687
SITE, Computer Science         szpak at site.uottawa.ca
University of Ottawa      www.site.uottawa.ca/~szpak