[Corpora-List] Typology of Internet textual genres

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Nov 17 19:07:39 UTC 2007

That point about defining genres is no different from the issues
involved in defining any naturally occurring concept:

 > We are in the phase that you describe so neatly: some documents
 > easily fit into a genre, and consequently some genres are easy
 > to identify (e.g. FAQs), while other documents are not easy to
 > classify in terms of genre...

Alan Cruse made the point that no word has a fixed set of senses,
and he coined the term "microsense" for the fine subdivisions
that are possible for any word. (Refs below)

I noticed that Google has 28,200 hits for "microsense" and
322 hits for "microgenre".

John Sowa

Cruse, D. Alan (2000) "Aspects of the micro-structure of word meanings,"
in Ravin & Leacock (2000) pp. 30-51.

Cruse, D. Alan (2002) "Microsenses, default specificity and the
semantics-pragmatics boundary," Axiomathes 1, 1-20.

Ravin, Yael, & Claudia Leacock, eds. (2000) Polysemy: Theoretical and
Computational Approaches, Oxford University Press, Oxford.