[Corpora-List] List of separable verbs in German

Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de
Fri Nov 23 13:39:41 UTC 2007

Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:38:55 +0100, Andrea wrote:

> Or, in the worst case, even an
> approximate number of how many there are in the German language?

A quick check of CELEX returns 3778 verbs with separable prefixes.
If I combine the CELEX data with our own semantically oriented
lexicon HaGenLex, I end up with 4009 verbs with separable prefixes.

But keep in mind that
- both resources have only limited coverage;
- CELEX contains some errors w.r.t. separable prefixes;
- most importantly, the process of combining verbs and
  separable prefixes is very productive (at least for some prefixes);
  so, there is no exhaustive list. :-(

Greetings
Sven

Dr. Sven Hartrumpf      e-mail: Sven.Hartrumpf at fernuni-hagen.de
Computer Science VII    phone:  +49 2331 987 4553
University of Hagen     fax:    +49 2331 987  392
58084 Hagen - Germany   WWW:    http://pi7.fernuni-hagen.de/hartrumpf/