[Corpora-List] medication pronunciations

Emiliano Guevara emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
Tue Apr 1 06:21:20 UTC 2008

Very briefly:

the meta-discussion that followed my provocative message (requesting
moderation from list members who are flooding the list with lengthy,
off-topic messages), and this one following Khurshid's similar
request, are more adequate in Corpora than the threads in which they
originated (James Fidelholtz is saying it himself...).

Dear James, if you really think that I, as a member of this list,
don't have the right to ask you for moderation, please start a
separate discussion thread on that  topic and find what other members
think about it. I am totally sure that I can do it.

And dear James, calling this "flaming" is completely absurd. You are
now defending off-topic threads that have nothing to do with corpora
or corpus linguistics. Remember this list is called "Corpora", and
not anything near "Say what you think about my favourite difficult
issue in language".

Please forgive my intrusion, I promise I will not answer any other
meta-discussion on these matters.

E.

On 1 Apr 2008, at 01:49, James L. Fidelholtz wrote:
> Hi, All (and sorry, Marc: yours just happened to be the last msg in
> this thread),
>
> Khurshid Ahmad <kahmad at cs.tcd.ie> wrote: ...
> "... short messages that may or may not be related to corpus
> linguistics or corpora-based studies...."
>
> Due to the nature of the tera-word corpora currently in
> circulation, I find it very difficult to wrap my mind around the
> notion of a msg of *any* length being unrelated to corpus
> linguistics or corpus-based studies. At the very least it could be
> (and probably will be) corpus data at some point. Beware, flamers!
> -- your excesses are doomed to immortality.
>
> By the way, Emiliano (from a different thread that Khurshid
> actually seems to have been responding to), my response to your
> contribution to that thread contains several (5, not counting the
> name of the list itself) occurrences of the word 'corpus' and
> morphologically-derived words (OK, admittedly in an off-thread
> paragraph, but which itself sparked a little discussion, which is
> at the least my point in all of this).
>
> Jim

Emiliano R. Guevara
Facoltà di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Dip. di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Università di Bologna
Via Cartoleria 5 (40124) Bologna, Italia

Homepage: http://morbo.lingue.unibo.it/

E-mail:   emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
           emiguevara at gmail.com