[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 9 19:22:59 UTC 2008

Dear Alex,

I know of two internet sites where corpora can be used by students.

The first one is from Professor Daniel Kies' (College of Du Page in Illinois) The Hyper Textbook, a textbook he wrote for his composition course. One part is dedicated to  Conrad's The Heart of Darkness which he presents with strings from a concordancer  and then he  invites students to use a concordancer that he has set up. He also uses concordances in this hyper-textbook for examples in his explanations of grammar. By the way, this is not just your average run-of-the-mill 'grammar' book. It's worth browsing through if you teach composition or applied linguistics.

http://papyr.com/hypertextbooks/grammar/conrad_heart_of_darkness.htm

The second on-line site is The Compleat (sic) Lexical Tutor for data driven language learning on the web. I strongly suggest browsing the tutorial first.

http://www.lextutor.ca/

Kindest regards,
Linda