[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Wed Apr 16 11:53:55 UTC 2008

Dear Alex,

you say
>  Is there really so little out there? Why?

I think the reason is simple: Concordances are too tough for learners.
So DDL has not taken off.  After 20 years, it remains a tiny minority
interest.
Our response is to select corpus sentences according to readability.
The beta version of the Sketch Engine now has an option to sort concordances

"best first", from a learner's point of view, and we are working on other
ways of
using corpora in language learning in which we only show
users sentences which they are likely to be able to read and understand.

Adam

2008/4/15 Alex Boulton <Alex.Boulton at univ-nancy2.fr>:

> Dear all
>

> I recently requested information on any *published materials* or *on-line
> materials*

 adopting a data-driven learning approach. My thanks to the following for
> their replies:
>
>    - Adam Turner
>    - Chris Tribble
>    - Mike Barlow
>    - Brett Reynolds
>    - Stéphanie O'Riordan
>    - Antoinette Renouf
>    - James Thomas
>    - Linda Bawcom
>    - Marcia Veirano Pinto
>    - Przemek Kaszubski
>    - Simon Smith
>    - John Milton
>
> Unfortunately (if unsurprisingly), there were no real additions to the
> publications

 I listed in the original mail. Is there really so little out there? Why?

Adam Kilgarriff http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
Lexicography MasterClass Ltd http://www.lexmasterclass.com
Universities of Leeds and Sussex adam at lexmasterclass.com