[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Gill Philip g.philip.polidoro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:51:55 UTC 2008

dear all,
I think Adam is partially right, but, as someone who does engage in DDL, I'd
like to point out another couple of reasons why there is so little "out
there":
(i) many materials are created for individuals or small groups and therefore
not put online/published as 'general' language notes; and
(ii) others are created on the fly in real time, and so never even make it
into a paper format, i.e. the concordances are put up on screen in class and
the teacher (me, but I'm sure others do the same) leads students through the
analysis. Once I get the interactive whiteboard up and running, such ad-hoc
exercises may well become more amenable to digital archiving, but for now
they remain ephemeral.

best,
Gill

On 16/04/2008, Adam Kilgarriff <adam at lexmasterclass.com> wrote:

> Dear Alex,
>
> you say
> >  Is there really so little out there? Why?
>

> I think the reason is simple: Concordances are too tough for learners.
> So DDL has not taken off.  After 20 years, it remains a tiny minority
> interest.
>
> Our response is to select corpus sentences according to readability.
> The beta version of the Sketch Engine now has an option to sort
> concordances
> "best first", from a learner's point of view, and we are working on other
> ways of
> using corpora in language learning in which we only show
> users sentences which they are likely to be able to read and understand.
>
> Adam
>
> 2008/4/15 Alex Boulton <Alex.Boulton at univ-nancy2.fr>:
>
> > Dear all
> >

> > I recently requested information on any *published materials* or *on-line
> > materials*
> >
>  adopting a data-driven learning approach. My thanks to the following for
> > their replies:
> >
> >    - Adam Turner
> >    - Chris Tribble
> >    - Mike Barlow
> >    - Brett Reynolds
> >    - Stéphanie O'Riordan
> >    - Antoinette Renouf
> >    - James Thomas
> >    - Linda Bawcom
> >    - Marcia Veirano Pinto
> >    - Przemek Kaszubski
> >    - Simon Smith
> >    - John Milton
> >
> > Unfortunately (if unsurprisingly), there were no real additions to the
> > publications
> >
>  I listed in the original mail. Is there really so little out there? Why?

> --

Dr. Gill Philip
CILTA
Università degli Studi di Bologna