[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Serge Sharoff s.sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 12:56:55 UTC 2008

Adam,
I wonder which method you are using for ranking examples.  We were
trying to do something similar, but for the whole webpages (and a
variety of languages).  For example, we ranked the English wikipedia and
my I-EN corpus by their coverage by GSL words,
http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/teaching/i-en-gsl.csv.bz2
http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/teaching/wiki-en-gsl.csv.bz2

The problem is that many pages with low lexical coverage by GSL contain
words that are known anyway, e.g., computer or construction.  On the
other hand, many phrasal verbs, e.g. 'give up' or constructions, 'go
extra mile', do contribute to the lexical count, but are not understood
by students.  Problems of this sort are not accidental (we found little
correlation between the GSL coverage and understanding), a much better
model of difficulty is needed to find texts/examples suitable for
language learners.
Serge