[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Alex Boulton Alex.Boulton at univ-nancy2.fr
Thu Apr 17 11:59:29 UTC 2008

Dear all

I agree with everyone, but maybe I'm just that kind of guy!

Firstly, I'm sure there is more out there which we (or at least I)
simply don't know about - hence my initial mail. On the other hand I
don't think there's anything like as much as one might have expected
20-odd years down the road. (Unfortunately I'm a late-comer to the
scene, otherwise I might be quoting Wordsworth: "Bliss was it in that
dawn to be alive...")

I certainly agree with Martin that there's likely to be a single
explanation for the (relative) lack of (public) uptake; a number of
interesting reasons have been given in these exchanges as well as in
response to my first mail, & others still in various research articles.
A common reaction seems to be that DDL as currently advocated depends on
a lot of factors that can't reasonably be expected in "normal" working
conditions - of regular teachers and learners, not to mention common
resources & environments. My feeling is that "off-the-peg" materials may
go some way towards making DDL more accessible, though given the small
quantities I (you!) have unearthed I'll have to think about it some
more, but will hopefully work this into a proper paper some time.

Cheers
alex

Martin Wynne a écrit :
> I very much agree with Gill's observations. Looking what is freely
> available on the web is not a good way to judge the uptake or range of
> DDL materials. As Gill points out, most DDL resources and courses are
> only deployed locally.
>
> To get something useful out on the web, you need to sort out the
> following (to name but a few):
> - getting it on a web server
> - basing it on web technologies
> - get it to work with the available back end technologies on your server
> - make sure that it is accessible and works with a variety of browsers
> - make sure it is robust and bug-free
> - support by the web server's sysadmin
> - the exercises need to be suitable for unsupervised work (which
> requires a lot more documentation, explanation, hand-holding, controlled
> revealing of results, tips and hints, etc)
> - be prepared to support users, or leave them in the lurch if they hit snags
> - ensure that you are not getting into any legal or ethical difficulties
> if you publish any of the the materials (in short, you're not likely to
> be allowed to put that corpus online...)
>
> So getting your course materials to work on your students' PCs is one
> thing, putting them on the web may involve a lot of additional challenges.
>
> Obviously there are huge potential advantages to putting materials on
> the web, but we shouldn't be surprised that not everyone does it.
>
> Martin
>
> Gill Philip wrote:
>
>> dear all,
>> I think Adam is partially right, but, as someone who does engage in DDL, I'd
>> like to point out another couple of reasons why there is so little "out
>> there":
>> (i) many materials are created for individuals or small groups and therefore
>> not put online/published as 'general' language notes; and
>> (ii) others are created on the fly in real time, and so never even make it
>> into a paper format, i.e. the concordances are put up on screen in class and
>> the teacher (me, but I'm sure others do the same) leads students through the
>> analysis. Once I get the interactive whiteboard up and running, such ad-hoc
>> exercises may well become more amenable to digital archiving, but for now
>> they remain ephemeral.
>>
>> best,
>> Gill
>>

>> On 16/04/2008, Adam Kilgarriff <adam at lexmasterclass.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear Alex,
>>>
>>> you say

>>> I think the reason is simple: Concordances are too tough for learners.
>>> So DDL has not taken off.  After 20 years, it remains a tiny minority
>>> interest.
>>>
>>> Our response is to select corpus sentences according to readability.
>>> The beta version of the Sketch Engine now has an option to sort
>>> concordances
>>> "best first", from a learner's point of view, and we are working on other
>>> ways of
> [...]

*                                                                  Alex
Boulton*

                                                                Nancy
Université

boulton at univ-nancy2.fr <mailto:boulton at univ-nancy2.fr>

CRAPEL---ATILF/CNRS
ERUDI

Tél :
03.83.96.71.30
Tél : 03.83.96.84.44

Fax :
03.83.96.71.32
Fax : 03.83.96.84.49

http://www.univ-nancy2.fr/CRAPEL/
http://www.univ-nancy2.fr/erudi

*                     Tous les articles des /Mélanges CRAPEL/ sont
disponibles
                                      gratuitement en ligne sous format
pdf :*

http://revues.univ-nancy2.fr/melangesCrapel/