[Corpora-List] Precision and Recall

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Sat Apr 19 00:11:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Adam Funk wrote:

> [18/04/08 08:39] Daniel Zeman wrote:
>
>> Alternative wording I usually tell my students:
>>
>> P = number of things I correctly found / number of things I found
>> R = number of things I correctly found / number of things I should have
>> found
>>
>> ("correctly found" = "I found it" AND "I should have found it")
>
> Here's another way to look at it, which I sometimes find useful:
>
> P = true_positives / (true_positives + false_positives)
>
> R = true_positives / (true_positives + false_negatives)

 	Thank you both for bringing clarity to this topic!  Can anyone
tell me why precision and recall are more useful than the simple numbers
of false positives and false negatives?  What do you get out of mixing
that up with the number of true positives, some kind of odds ratio?

 					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
 					grvsmth at panix.com

Find out more about my computer consulting service at
<http://www.grieve-smith.com/>.  Discounts are available
for nonprofits and for customers in the Sunnyside/Woodside area.