[Corpora-List] Precision and Recall

Martin Reynaert reynaert at uvt.nl
Fri Apr 18 10:22:43 UTC 2008

Hi Federica,

The classical reference is from Information Retrieval. It is an
instructive read.

@Book{Rijsbergen-75,
   author = {C. J. van Rijsbergen},
   title = {Information Retrieval},
   year = {1975},
   publisher = {Butterworths},
   address = {London}
}

The metrics are also informatively treated in:

@book{Manning-99,
   author =       "C.D. Manning and H. Sch{\"{u}}tze",
   title =        "Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing",
   publisher =    "MIT Press",
   address =      "Cambridge, Massachusetts; London, England",
   year =         "1999",
}

As it happens, I will be presenting a paper advocating these metrics for
the evaluation of spelling and OCR error correction at LREC-2008.

Martin Reynaert
ILK
Tilburg University
The Netherlands