[Corpora-List] Boot camp for corpus linguistics?

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 29 14:39:04 UTC 2008

Dear Shekhar,

Rather than give you a long list of potentionally unnecessary or uninteresting information, may I suggest you see David Lee's web site (Bookmarks for Corpus Based Linguistics):

http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~davidlee/devotedtocorpora/CBLLinks.htm

 which is a vast summary, (certainly enough to get you started) of just about everything  regarding corpus based research; from all the different corpora available, (both commercial and on-line, to on-line tutorials, books, references, software and so on.The only thing I am unsure of is when it was last up-dated.

Also, since you seem savvy regarding computer science, may I suggest Dr. Graeme Hirst's (computational linguistics)  home page http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~gh/
Click on 'my publications'. You will see a (very long) list of names. The authors that I am familiar with besides Hirst, are  Budanitsky, DeMarco,  Edmonds, and Inkpen, but that is certainly not to say that others may pique your curiosity more. The problem is that you just have a list of names to click on before seeing the publications, so there's a lot of browsing to do. If you go to Phil Edmonds URL  http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~pedmonds/papers.html you can actually see the titles of his publications. Some of which are on-line I suspect.

Kindest regards,
Linda