[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

Mcenery, Tony eiaamme at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Sat Aug 16 22:32:31 UTC 2008

I think Stefan makes some very good points here. They are ones that most people, I am sure, would readily agree with. I have met few corpus linguists with a passion for sifting the orthodox from the unorthodox. Such a process is fruitless at best and counter productive at worst. It is the remarkable diversity of the uses of corpus data - and the diversity of viewpoints that their use has promoted - that is utterly refreshing. Linguistics is so diminished when it narrows to doctrinaire positions as, sadly, it so often has in the past. I enjoy and value a wide range of views and works. I will happily read Sinclair on the same day that I will read Gries. I will take away something from both of them. The conjunctions and disjunctions in their positions will promote debate - I accept and welcome that. I think that this position, the position of open minded enquiry, is the one that the great majority of self identified corpus linguists share. Anyway - a purely personal view. Best,

Tony