[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sun Aug 17 05:57:34 UTC 2008

Tony,

That is the way a professional field should develop:

 > I have met few corpus linguists with a passion for sifting
 > the orthodox from the unorthodox.

Competition between different schools of thought is normal and healthy.
But the "linguistic wars" of the 1960s and '70s created an unhealthy
partisanship that split the field into warring camps.

Following is one of my favorite quotations:

     Systems, scientific and philosophic, come and go.  Each method
     of limited understanding is at length exhausted.  In its prime
     each system is a triumphant success:  in its decay it is an
     obstructive nuisance.

                      Alfred North Whitehead, _Adventures of Ideas_

John Sowa