[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

James L. Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:48:56 UTC 2008

Hi, Yorick,

Grumpy (old) age or not, let me second your auto-reference (NB: *not* to
self-driving cars). I learned more about semantics from your throughly lucid
chapter than I ever did from studying mathematical logic, Montague, Carnap,
Wittgenstein or any of the others (none of which I -- admittedly -- ever
spent too much time outside of class on). A few short pages in _Electric
words_ on the various types of semantic theories (which, of course, I could
no longer reproduce), and I felt like I finally understood at least some of
what people were always saying about meaning. BTW, I also have found very
useful the book's basic approach (in my understanding, anyway) to how to do
semantics computationally -- winnow out from *all* the words *actually used*
in definitions in a medium-sized ('college') dictionary the ones that could
be left out, using synonyms and/or paraphrase, and take the resulting 2000
or so words as a basis for a semantic theory. Now *that's* an appealing
approach, especially to a formalist like me. (Of course, if I remember
correctly, you started with the COBUILD dictionary, where the compilers had
started out with a limited (?2000 word) vocabulary from which to construct
definitions. Maybe you got it down to 1990 or so  ;-)> .)

Anyway, toss in some use of realistic semantic features, perhaps based on a
thorough overview of semantic fields from the same point of view, definitely
based on metaphor as an explanation for much semantic change (again, from
the same feature-based point of view), and I could see a reasonable semantic
theory (or at least parts of it) beginning to emerge. But that's a more
extended issue.