[Corpora-List] Common objects & descriptive features

Marco Baroni marco.baroni at unitn.it
Mon Feb 4 20:12:01 UTC 2008

I receive and forward from a colleague.

Marco

-----------------------------

Dear Saket,

this is a problem of great interest to us,  and to others in the
so-called 'ontology learning' area (a bit of a misnomer). Besides the
pointers already suggested by Katrin Erk, a survey of recent work in the
area can be found in the recent book edited by Buitelaar and Cimiano
("Ontology Learning and Population: Bridging the Gap between Text and
Knowledge", published by IOS press). For the literature before around
2003, see also the web page of a graduate seminar we had in Essex a few
years back:

http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/staff/poesio/LAC/LAC03-04/lexical_seminar_syllabus.html

In our own work, we have been primarily interested in how to extract
attributes and values of these attributes from text. Abdulrahman
Almuhareb's 2006 Essex Computer Science dissertation, "Attributes in
Lexical Acquisition", proposes unsupervised and supervised methods for
identifying concept attributes and values using relation extraction
techniques, and also some preliminary work on relating values to
attributes using patterns. In ongoing work at the University of Trento,
we have been trying with Marco Baroni, Eduard Barbu, and other
colleagues to improve the quality of the extracted attributes (e.g.,
Marco Baroni's 'Strudel' model) and to develop better evaluation methods
relying both on the feature norms collected by psychologists and on
techniques for extracting such values and attributes from WordNet
(Eduard  Barbu just presented a paper on this topic at the Global
WordNet conference).

                 Massimo Poesio