[Corpora-List] German corpora

Caren Brinckmann cabr at coli.uni-sb.de
Fri Jan 25 12:48:35 UTC 2008

Dear Jaime,

unfortunately I don't know of any recent corpus of _spoken_ German that
is freely available. You might find something useful (but not free of
charge) within the Bavarian Archive for Speech Signals:
http://www.phonetik.uni-muenchen.de/Bas/BasKorporaeng.html#SpontKorpora.

At the Institute for German Language (IDS) in Mannheim, we recently
compiled the corpus "German Today" recording 800 speakers in two age
groups, including a 30 minute interview with each speaker. Especially
the younger speakers use anglicisms (e.g. when talking about computer
games). You can find more information about the corpus in our CL2007
paper http://corpus.bham.ac.uk/corplingproceedings07/paper/136_Paper.pdf
and on the project's webpage (in German):
http://www.ids-mannheim.de/prag/AusVar/Deutsch_heute/

So far, all interviews of the older speakers have been transcribed
orthographically. The interviews of the younger speakers are still being
transcribed. The corpus is not yet publicly available, but it can be
accessed during a research visit at the IDS. If you are interested,
please contact me (brinckmann at ids-mannheim.de).

Older corpora of spoken German that are archived at the IDS are listed
here: http://agd.ids-mannheim.de/korpora/korpus-index.html

Hope this helps!
Caren.

--