[Corpora-List] Tools for historical languages?

Martin Reynaert reynaert at uvt.nl
Wed Nov 19 17:40:35 UTC 2008

Dear Stefanie,

I am working on a tool to perform spelling normalization for large
corpora - contemporary or historical - in the framework of a project for
the National Library in the Netherlands.

The tool is called TICCL (pronounce 'tickle') for: Text-Induced Corpus
Clean-up. The prototype was described in:

Non-interactive OCR post-correction for giga-scale digitization projects

       Author(s): Martin Reynaert
       Reference: In A. Gelbukh (Ed.), Proceedings of the Computational
Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing 9th International
Conference, CICLing 2008. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol.
4919/2008, Berlin / Heidelberg: Springer, pp. 617-630.

The focus there was on OCR-misrecognition errors, but TICCL handles any
kind of spelling variation. It is largely language-independent, but
assumes an alphabet.

A production grade version should become available as free software
sometime early next year. I intend to announce that event on this list.

Greetings,

Martin Reynaert
ILK (Induction of Linguistic Knowledge)
TiCC (Tilburg centre for Creative Computing)
University of Tilburg

http://ilk.uvt/nl