[Corpora-List] Tools for historical languages?

Alistair Baron a.baron at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Nov 20 15:45:16 UTC 2008

Dear Stefanie,

We have been working for the past few years on a tool for normalising
spelling in historical corpora (particularly Early Modern English) named
VARD 2. The tool can be used to manually and automatically standardise texts
or an entire corpus. Variants are replaced with modern equivalents by the
tool, with xml tags used to retain the original spelling. The tool also
learns which replacement methods are most effective, so training the tool on
a relatively small sample will result in improved standardisation of a
particular corpus.

The tool was developed for Early Modern English, however by plugging in
other dictionaries and through training, the tool can be used with other
languages and varieties.

Further details of our research are available at
http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/VariantSpelling/ and the tool itself is available
to use for free (for academic use) from:
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~barona/vard2/, further details and a user guide
are also available.

We've also recently completed studies investigating the effect of spelling
variation on corpus linguistic techniques:

For keyword analysis: Baron, A., Rayson, P. and Archer, D. (forthcoming).
Word frequency and key word statistics in historical corpus linguistics.
International Journal of English Studies.

And for part-of-speech tagging: Rayson, P., Archer, D., Baron, A., Culpeper,
J. and Smith, N. (2007). Tagging the Bard: Evaluating the accuracy of a
modern POS tagger on Early Modern English corpora. In Davies, M., Rayson,
P., Hunston, S. and Danielsson, P. (eds.) Proceedings of the Corpus
Linguistics Conference: CL2007, University of Birmingham, UK, 27-30 July
2007.

Both studies quantify the effect of spelling variation on corpus linguistic
studies. The former paper also quantifies the levels of spelling variation
in various Early Modern English corpora including Early English Books
Online.

Please get in touch if you require more details.

Regards,
Alistair Baron

Alistair Baron
C28, Computing Department,