[Corpora-List] concordance program for large files

Emiliano Guevara emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
Wed Sep 3 07:40:30 UTC 2008

Don't waste money:

Laurence Anthony's AntConc is free, multiplatform, and does most of what
other commercial packages do (freq. lists, concordancing, collocates,
keywords).

http://www.antlab.sci.waseda.ac.jp/antconc_index.html

My students use AntConc with corpora as big as 5M words, but it starts
feeling sluggish over 3M words.

However, all the current stand-alone programs suffer this problem.
Someone in this thread just said that WSTools can manage
"with the whole of BNC", but it is not true. At least not in this part
of the world....

E.

On Sep 3, 2008, at 02:10 AM, jaime.hunt at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
wrote:

> I was just wondering if you know of a good concordance program that
> deals with large files of over 1 million words that I might be able
> to use for my research. Has anyone had any experience with one?
> There are a few free ones on the internet, but they often don't deal
> with really large files.
>
> Regards,
> Jaime

Emiliano R. Guevara
Facoltà di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Dipart. di Lingue e Lett. Straniere
Università di Bologna
Via Cartoleria 5 (40124) Bologna, Italia
   http://morbo.lingue.unibo.it/
   emiliano.guevara at unibo.it
   emiguevara at gmail.com