[Corpora-List] concordance program for large files

Chris Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 09:11:02 UTC 2008

Emiliano - don't want to start a big debate re WST and BNC, but in this part
of the world both version 4 and 5 run searches, index building and all other
functions on BNC World.  I have two versions of this on my PC  - one with
all tags stripped out and they both work fine.  I've not tried it on the
text of the XML edition - this may be a problem - but AntConc (which I use
and recommend to students as an excellent free starter) won't either.  My
experience with AntConc is also that it has major problems with Unicode text
and larger files.

So I'd say NOT a waste of money - especially if, like me, you're not a Unix
/ Perl user.  OK, I know I should be, but there are so many learning curves
I want to climb...

Best

C:
--